This is the public log of DeeDee 'dzyjak' Jackson, a fictional character. DeeDee lives and works aboard a space station which orbits Saturn, and sometimes he writes about it.

2005-08-28

Paula Explains

  • Six hydro-tanks, plus accessories
  • Three cats
  • One champanzee named Curious (not George)
  • One attractive human female named Paula
  • One long range family transport capable of supporting life indefinitely
  • And me. I've named my new ship the "Ion Jack." Somehow, this is becoming my home away from Fort Falling.

    Curious has obviously been trained as an environmental systems technician. It's just that the systems he was trained in look a lot more grown than made--which is not unusual on a space station, but most of it seems like it's still growing. When I look too closely at some parts of the new system, my stomach shifts in the same way as when Paula explains one of her hydro-tank projects in too much detail.

    And why is Paula hanging around here? With me? She's doing more than just 'repairing' the environmental systems. She's moving in, and turning my ship into her own private lab. I am a little uneasy with a chimpanzee knowing more about my own ship's environmental systems than I do.

    I also wonder why she brought that psycho tomcat which I had dragged out of a bio storage section somewhere in the sacrificial part of the station. He's not really interested in being polite to humans, and the other two cats Paula brought aren't very high on his list of interesting companions.

    So I asked her.

    "I felt you would be too much of a distraction in our time of crisis," Paula said, "So I told you to get lost and never come back. Then I started wondering why you were still on the station. I found out you have parents on Ceres Metro--you could have left here years ago."

    "Yeah?" I asked suspiciously. I was starting to feel like an interesting specimen of something.

    "I didn't think she would know anything about you, but I asked Doc," Paula continued. "She told me you were too worried about the cats to leave. To prove it, she introduced me to that attitude you call Rat Bane."

    "I like cats," I muttered.

    "That's when I started thinking of you as an addition to my life, and not simply a potential diversion," Paula said.

    Let's hear it for decaying orbits.

  • No comments: