This is the public log of DeeDee 'dzyjak' Jackson, a fictional character. DeeDee lives and works aboard a space station which orbits Saturn, and sometimes he writes about it.

2006-02-27

Mathematical Shell Game

I've never claimed to be the smartest guy around. Seriously, who wants to be THAT guy? Non claims aside, I'm not stupid, and I have a smart girl-friend. I recognize that I have a smart girl-friend, and I'm not threatened by it, so I guess that makes me smart in at least one way.

So why don't I understand the logic of engineers? I don't mean the logic which makes things work. I am confused by the way engineers think when it comes to solving problems. I seriously believe that if two engineers were trapped in a deadly situation with two different engineering solutions, they would die discussing it if a Station Tech weren't around to make the decision and possibly hand them tools.

Engineers are smart people, but very often I seem unable to lingo the gap, and I find confusion instead of the enlightenment I am seeking.

For example:

  • Tech: I have a two and a one, but the spec says it equals four. Do you know where I can find the other one?
  • Engineer: Where did you get the one?
  • Tech: It came with the spec.
  • Engineer: That's not a one. You need another two.
  • Tech: Ok. Where can I find another two?
  • Engineer: Why do you need a four?
  • Tech: It came with the spec.
  • Engineer: Ok. So you have a two and one. The spec calls for a three on that.

Which explains why Station Techs use One-tape to fix everything.

No comments: